Canada is the 2nd largest country in the world with two official languages English and French. Due to its premier education, affordable tuition cost and highly recognized degrees it has become the most desirable study destination among international students. It is one of the world’s great multicultural societies that welcome people from everywhere and value academic freedom. There are a total of 98 universities in Canada with multiple institutes and colleges that embrace international students to prosper their dreams of acquiring high quality of education.
Post Graduate Work Permit is an added attraction that allow international students to remain in Canada after their course completion to gain valuable Canadian work experience. You get 180 days to apply for your PGWP after you receive your final grades for minimum 8 months or up-to 3 years depending upon the duration of your study program. If you are a legal resident of India, China, The Philippines or Vietnam you can quickly process your application through the Student Direct Stream and may get your study permit within 20 business days.
Eligibility Criteria to apply under Student Direct Stream
- If you are a legal resident of:
- The Philippines or
- You are outside Canada when you apply for study permit
- You have an acceptance letter to study in Canada from a post- secondary Designated Learning Institute
- Proof that you have paid your one year tuition fee
- You have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate – GIC of $10000
- You must undergo a medical examination before you apply
- Get a police clearance certificate before you apply
- You have a language test result that shows:
- A score of 6.0 or higher in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening) on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or
- A Test d’évaluation de français (TEF) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
- Valid Travel document
About Designated Learning Institute:
As an international student it is vital for you to choose an education provider that is well approved by a provincial or territorial government to enroll international students and that generally called as a Designated Learning Institute. DLI ensures that the education you receive in Canada are of higher academic standards. Every DLI doesn’t make you eligible for Post graduate work permit.
The link below shows the list of Designated Learning Institutes that will make you eligible for PGWP.
About Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC)
A GIC is a Canadian investment that has a guaranteed rate of return for a fixed period of time. It is a savings account that allows you to deposit money and earn interest on that money for a specified period of time.
Many banks offer GICs. The bank that gives you the GIC must:
- Confirm that you bought a GIC by giving you one of the following:
- A letter of attestation
- A GIC certificate
- An Investment Directions Confirmation or
- An Investment Balance Confirmation
- Hold the GIC in an investment account or a student account that you can’t access until you arrive in Canada
- Make you confirm your identity before they release any funds to you
- Release the funds to you by providing:
- An initial lump sum once you identify yourself upon arrival in Canada
- The remainder of the funds in monthly or bi-monthly installments over 10 to 12 months
If your bank or GIC doesn’t meet these criteria, you won’t be able to apply through the Student Direct Stream
Banks that offer GICs
The following banks offer GICs that meet the criteria:
- Bank of Beijing
- Bank of China
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of Xian Co. Ltd.
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- HSBC Bank of Canada
- ICICI Bank
- Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- RBC Royal Bank
- SBI Canada Bank